Have You Met Rutgers-Newark?
Blumenthal Hall (249 University Ave.) is the Student Services building, home of Financial Aid, the Cashier, Student Accounting, Photo ID, the Registrar, Health and Pharmacy Services, the Newark Counseling Center, Commuter Transit and Parking Services, Summer and Winter Sessions.
Blumenthal Hall was named after Dr. Henry Blumenthal, a noted historian on Franco-American relations. Born in Germany in 1911, he earned an AB in 1933 from the University of Berlin, and then attended the University of California at Berkeley, where he earned an MA degree in 1943 and a Ph.D. in 1949. During World War II Blumenthal served as a combat infantryman. He came to Rutgers in 1949 as a history instructor, and was named director of the NCAS division of social sciences in 1963. He was a dean at Rutgers-Newark from 1969-1971.
In 1960, Blumenthal was the first recipient of the NCAS "Outstanding Teacher of the Year" award. In 1979, he became the first Rutgers-Newark recipient of the Rutgers University Award, a medal given for distinguished service to the University through leadership and scholarly achievement.
Joined Rutgers: 1946
Campus Size: 38 acres, 33 buildings
Chancellor Designate: Nancy Cantor
Interim Chancellor: Todd Clear
Undergraduate Majors: 40+
Graduate Programs: 50+ (JD, MA, MBA, MFA, MPA, MS, Ph.D.)
Athletics: 14 NCAA Division III women and men's teams
Enrollment (fall 2012)
Full-time Faculty: 585
Faculty with Terminal Degrees: 99%
Full-time Staff: 770
Male/Female Ratio: 50:50
Student/Faculty Ratio: 13:1
Nations Represented: 100+
On-campus Residents: 1,280
Basic Type: Research Universities (high research activity)
Special Classification: Community Engagement