Strategic Planning: Charrette Groups
"This is our moment" - Chancellor Nancy Cantor
Due to extremely positive response, all charrette groups are now full and the sign-up period has passed. If you would like to participate in another way, please visit the online comments page, come to a Town Hall meeting, or form a discussion group within your own RU-N community circle. We look forward to an expanding conversation as the process moves forward.
The concept of a "charrette" comes from the design disciplines:bring a small, diverse group together over a series of meetings to:
- Define Challenges
- Propose means to address them.
To join a charrette group, you must commit to going to three 90-minute sessions. Each charrette will meet once per week for three weeks, from February 17 - March 7. You must be available to attend all three sessions, i.e. every Monday at 10:00 am or every Thursday at 4:00 pm.
Charrette guiding questions:
- What is higher education being called upon to do right now?
- What is our story at Rutgers University-Newark?
- If this is our moment, what shall we do?
Pre-reading materials for discussion in charrette groups
- Civic Renewal of Higher Education through Renewed Commitment to the Public Good, by Nancy Cantor and Peter Englot
What would a research university be like if we were to take seriously the admonition of the Kellogg Commission to “reinvent ourselves for the times that are to come instead of the times that have passed”?
- Beyond the "Ivory Tower": Restoring the Balance of Private and Public Purposes of General Education, by Nancy Cantor and Peter Englot
- Apr. 21: CEO Lecture Series Featuring Eric J. Tveter, MBA'77
- Apr. 22: Earth Day 2014, Part I
- Apr. 23: Earth Day 2014, Part II
Joined Rutgers: 1946
Campus Size: 38 acres, 33 buildings
Chancellor: Nancy Cantor
Provost: Todd Clear
Undergraduate Majors: 40+
Graduate Programs: 50+ (JD, MA, MBA, MFA, MPA, MS, Ph.D.)
Athletics: 14 NCAA Division III women and men's teams
Enrollment (fall 2013)
Full-time Faculty: 585
Faculty with Terminal Degrees: 99%
Full-time Staff: 770
Male/Female Ratio: 50:50
Student/Faculty Ratio: 13:1
Nations Represented: 100+
On-campus Residents: 1,280
Basic Type: Research Universities (high research activity)
Special Classification: Community Engagement