Yoga, Pancakes, Massages and 24-Hour Study Lounges Will Help Relieve Final Exam Stress for Students at Rutgers University, Newark
Editors: You are welcome to cover this event at Rutgers University, Newark
WHAT: Each semester, “DeStress Fest” helps students at Rutgers University in Newark cope with the stressors of final exams through a program of activities specifically designed to reduce stress and provide emotional and moral support. This fall those activities include a round-the-clock study lounge, extended hours at the campus library and athletic center, massages, belly dancing, yoga and free snacks. All events and snacks are free; all activities open to both residential and commuter students with valid RU ID.
- Free Film Making Classes Will Teach How To Create Cell Phone Cinemas
- Sept. 22-27: Save The Dates To Celebrate The Uniqueness That Is Rutgers In Newark
- Rutgers University, NJIT, Seton Hall Law Team Up With The Newark Museum for Newark’s First Grad Student “Meet Up” Feb. 27
- Feb. 15 Conference Commemorates Community Organizing in the Modern Civil Rights Movement
WHO: DeStress Fest is sponsored by: the Office of the Chancellor, the Counseling Center, Paul Robeson Campus Center, the Office of Student Life & Leadership, the Program Board, the Office of Housing & Residence Life, Athletics & Recreation Department, Unity Theatre , the Student Health Advocates (Health Promotion Division of Health Services) and the LGBTQ and Diversity Resource Center.
WHEN/WHERE: Dec. 12-Dec. 21, various campus locations (Please see calendar)
BACKGROUND: DeStress Fest started with a twice-annual midnight pancake breakfast, held during winter and spring finals. For students who were cramming for exams, the pancake breakfasts provided nourishment, a needed break from their studies, and moral support, courtesy of Rutgers staff and administrators who served the pancakes while offering encouragement and a sympathetic ear. The breakfasts are still served but the campus has added a wide range of activities to help students manage the stresses associated with finals.
INFORMATION: For mental health/stress issues, Dr. Pamela Heard, Counseling Center, 973/353-5805; for student life issues, Gerald Massenburg, 973/353-5541. MEDIA INFORMATION: Carla Capizzi, 973/353-5263.
DESTRESS FEST 2012
Dec. 12, 2:30 - 4 p.m., DeStress Fest Kickoff: free massages, interactive drumming with the Drum Café, a DeStress Wall, games, giveaways, refreshments and much more; Paul Robeson Campus Center (PRCC), first floor, 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- John Cotton Dana Library, 185 University Ave.:
- Thurs., Dec. 13: 8 a.m. – 2 a.m.
- Fri., Dec. 14: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sat., Dec. 15: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Sun., Dec. 16: 12 noon - midnight
- Mon., Dec. 17: 8 a.m. – 2 a.m.
- Tues., Dec. 18: 8 a.m. – 2 a.m.
- Wed., Dec. 19: 8 a.m. - midnight
- Thurs., Dec. 20: 8 a.m. - midnight
- Fri., Dec. 21: 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- STONSBY COMMONS, 91 Bleeker St., 24 HOUR STUDY LOUNGE
- Mon., Dec. 10: 9-11 a.m., Center for Law and Justice (CLJ), 123 Washington St.
- Tues., Dec.11: 9:00am-11:00am, CLJ
- Thurs., Dec. 13: 2 - 4 p.m., Dana Library, 185 University Ave.
- Thurs., Dec. 13: 10 p.m. - midnight, Stonsby Lounge, 91Bleeker St.
- Fri., Dec.14: noon- 2 p.m., first floor, PRCC, 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Fri., Dec.14: noon- 2 p.m., first floor, PRCC
- Sat., Dec. 15: 9 -11 a.m., CLJ, 123 Washington St.
- Mon., Dec. 17: 8:30- 10:30 p.m., Stonsby Lounge, 91Bleeker St.
- Tues., Dec.18: noon - 2 p.m., first floor, PRCC, 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Wed., Dec 19: 7 - 9 p.m., Stonsby Lounge, 91Bleeker St.
- Sat., Dec 22: 9 - 11 a.m., CLJ, 123 Washington St.
DOWN TO EARTH BODY SHOP: MAKE YOUR OWN SOAP!
Wed., Dec. 12: 5:30 p.m., Stonsby Cafeteria, 91Bleeker St., Newark
YOGA WITH S-O-U-L!
- Wed., Dec. 12: 8:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- Tues., Dec. 18: 8 – 9 p.m.
- Wed., Dec. 19: 8 - 9 p.m.
- Thurs., Dec. 20: 8 - 9 p.m.
Stonsby Lounge, 91Bleeker St.
2012 APOCALYPSE: HEALTH PROMOTIONS DIVISION STYLE!
Thurs., Dec. 13: 6:30 - 7:15 p.m., Student Health Advocate displays (fun on an apocalyptic proportion), and from 7:15 - 8:30 p.m., Interactive Unity Theatre show (complete annihilation of stress through laughter)
Bradley Hall Theater, third floor, 110 Warren St.
Thurs., Dec. 13: 10 p.m. – midnight; Stonsby Cafeteria, 91Bleeker St.
Thurs., Dec.13: 10 p.m. - midnight, Stonsby Cafeteria
PB&J PJ PARTY: TAKE A BREAK FROM YOUR STUDIES FOR PBJ’S AND OTHER SNACKS!
Fri., Dec. 14: 10 p.m. - midnight or until supplies last; Stonsby Lounge, 91Bleeker St.
WOOF THERAPY! Soothing Pet Therapy to Decrease Ur Stress
Mon., Dec. 17: 7 – 8 p.m., University Square Lounge, 155 University Ave.
Tues., Dec.18: 7 - 8 p.m., Stonsby Lounge, 91Bleeker St.
RELAXATION STATION: COME GET YOUR RELAX ON!
Mon., Dec. 17: 8 p.m.; Stonsby Cafeteria, 91Bleeker St.
DESTRESS YOUR BODY-WORK OUT! EXTENDED GYM HOURS!
Mon., Dec. 17 - Thurs., Dec. 20: Gym open until 11 p.m., pool open until 10:45 p.m.; Golden Dome Athletic Center, 42 Warren St.