General Barry R. McCaffrey to Speak at the Rutgers School of Criminal Justice on Public Safety Challenges
Press Availability at 2 p.m.
- WHEN: Tuesday, November 27
- 2:00pm Press Availability
- 3:00pm Lecture
- WHAT: Retired General Barry R. McCaffrey will speak at The Police Institute at the Rutgers School of Criminal Justice on the topic, “Public Safety Challenges 2013.”
- There will be a media / photo opportunity with Gen. McCaffrey and Thomas O’Reilly, Executive Director of The Police Institute prior to the lecture.
- WHERE: The Police Institute, Rutgers School of Criminal Justice, 123 Washington Street – Suite 110, Newark, NJ 07102
- Dr. Alice Goffman to Visit Rutgers University-Newark to Discuss Her New Book, On the Run; 9/24 @ 12:30 pm
- Renowned Conservationist Richard Leakey to Deliver Wildlife Crime Symposium Keynote
- Testimony to NJ SAFE Task Force by Todd Clear, dean of Rutgers School of Criminal Justice
- News Source Advisory: Gun Policy in New Jersey
General McCaffrey will speak on the topic, “Public Safety Challenges 2013,” and will discuss threats to the community and law enforcement response. This invitation-only event is part of The Police Institute Distinguished Lecture Series, which features local and national leaders delivering compelling speeches on topics relevant to students and the community.
Thomas O’Reilly, Executive Director of The Police Institute, comments, “We are very pleased to have a distinguished military and public safety professional like Gen. Barry McCaffrey as our first speaker, as we restart the Distinguished Lecture Series at The Police Institute, Rutgers University. His insight into the domestic and foreign threats facing Law Enforcement will be critical to NJ public safety officials as they prepare strategies to protect their communities. The Police Institute is dedicated to supporting New Jersey Law Enforcement as they deliver effective public safety services to their communities. “
General McCaffrey served in the United States Army for 32 years, and retired as a four-star General. For five years after leaving the military, General McCaffrey served as the nation’s Cabinet Officer in charge of U.S. Drug Policy. After leaving government service, General McCaffrey served as the Bradley Distinguished Professor of International Security Studies from January 2001 to May 2005; then as an Adjunct Professor of International Security Studies from May 2005 to December 2010 at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. General McCaffrey remains very active in national and international security affairs.
The Police Institute is located at the School of Criminal Justice, Center for Law & Justice, 123 Washington Street, Newark, New Jersey. For more information, please contact:
Candice Perodeau, Rainier Communications
Phone: 508-475-0025 x112