Are You Ready For Homecoming? Rutgers in Newark Promises A ‘Supersized’ Celebration
Super Bowl XLVIII is coming to New Jersey this winter, but you don’t have to wait until February, or go to MetLife Stadium, to start your Super Bowl celebration! Homecoming 2013 at Rutgers in Newark will serve up fun and activities from Sept. 23 –Sept. 28. The annual celebration, this year with a Super Bowl theme, brings together alumni, current students, faculty and staff to celebrate all things Rutgers in Newark.
Homecoming Events are at Homecoming 2013. A full schedule of alumni events is at Ralumni.com/NewarkHomecoming. The schedule of Homecoming events is subject to change; please check for updates. Alumni can register in advance for alumni sponsored events at Ralumni.com/NewarkHomecoming or call 973-353-5242 for more information. Free on-campus parking is available at University Deck I, 200 University Ave., or Deck II, 166 Washington St.
Monday, Sept. 23, Homecoming Kickoff Party and Scarlet Spirit Day, 11:30 a.m. - 12:50 p.m.; Norman Samuels Plaza; FREE.
Kick-off Homecoming with a celebration on the Plaza with snacks, music, t-shirts, and giveaways. Rain location: Paul Robeson Campus Center, Student Street, 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tuesday, Sept. 24, MFA in Creative Writing Program Alumni Readings, Panel Discussion, and Reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Paul Robeson Gallery, Paul Robeson Campus Center, 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.; FREE.
Three alumni from Rutgers–Newark’s Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program -Phedra Deonarine GSN '12, Sara Grossman GSN '11, and Jaime Karnes GSN'10 - will read from their original works. Followed by a meet and greet reception.
Wednesday, Sept. 25
- Homecoming speaker Wade Davis Jr. presents "Interference," a discussion about GLBT life in sports and college athletics, 2:30 p.m., Boyden Hall, Room 100, 195 University Ave.
- Commuter Appreciation Day, Norman Samuels Plaza, 2:30 p.m. -4:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 26, 8 p.m., Homecoming Bingo, Stonsby Commons, 91 Bleeker St., Newark
Friday, Sept. 27
- Mr. & Ms. Rutgers Newark competition, Paul Robeson Campus Center, Rooms 255-257; 8 p.m.
- Alumni Happy Hour, 6-8:30 p.m., Martini 494, 494 Broad St., Newark, $10 young alumni (graduation year 2003-2013); $15 all others. Free parking available after 5:30 p.m. in the lot at Broad and Atlantic streets.
- Alumni Baseball Game, Alumni Field, Warren Street and University Avenue; information: Coach Mark Rizzi, firstname.lastname@example.org or (973) 353-1473.
Saturday, Sept. 28
- Honors College Alumni Meet and Mentor Reception, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., Engelhard Hall, 2nd Floor, Esterly Lounge, 190 University Ave.; FREE. Information: Dr. Kinna Perry at email@example.com.
- Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Luncheon, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., the Newark Club, One Newark Center, 22nd Floor, Newark; $40. Reservations must be made online. General questions: Rosa Zamora, firstname.lastname@example.org, 973/353-1471.
- Super Fall Fest Street Fair, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., Bleeker Street between Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and University Avenue; FREE. Carnival games, music, trivia contest and tournament, face painting, crafts, giveaways, prizes, photo booth, zoo animals, and alumni athletic contests, among others. Music provided by Rutgers radio station WRNU. The pay-as-you-go barbeque will be open 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. and costs $9.50 per person. All Fall Fest activities and snacks are free.
- Alumni Athletic events (free) Alumni athletes who wish to play may contact the Athletics office, 973-353-3712, or the coaches for more information: men’s basketball: email@example.com; women’s basketball: firstname.lastname@example.org; softball: email@example.com
- Alumni vs. Student Softball Game, 1- 2:30 p.m., Alumni Field, Warren Street
- Alumni Basketball Games: Women's, 1:30- 2:30 p.m.; Men's, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m., Golden Dome Athletic Center, 42 Warren Street
- McGovern’s Alumni Social, 3-6 p.m., McGovern's Tavern, 58 New St.
Media contact: Carla Capizzi, firstname.lastname@example.org